Multicultural Paranormal Romance Author Alexandria Infante

Translate

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Is it safe to say, just like Bobby Bushay's mama; Reviewers are of the Devil!!!

Isaac Asimov Said;
“Rejection slips, or form letters, however tactfully phrased, are lacerations of the soul, if not quite inventions of the devil – but there is no way around them.” And I believe this to be completely true, but I would also add reviewers with no tact to the list as well.
So I'm quite sure that from this adage, you can obviously get it that I got a not so nice review for the book. I think I would have been okay with her just saying that she didn't like it, and maybe one or two points why she didn't; but I feel like it was not only an attack on the book itself, but me as a person as well. I'm mean yeah, as an author you can't expect everyone to like what you do, write, sing, or act, because c'mon each of these are a form of Art, and Art is subjective; but I do think that there is a way to disagree with someone with out being spiteful, full of disdain, or just plain rude. But what hurts the most, is that just like their reviews, the books themselves are not only our life's dream, but our bread and butter as well.
An excerpt of what Artemis the reviewer wrote:
The constant mispronunciation of words got on my last nerve along with the overuse of the word “fucken”.The second of these reasons was the flow and ebb of the story. During the first half of it, I felt like I was sitting in a Lycan History 101 class which was being served up with a side of Egyptian Myth Intro….snore…zzzzz. Review by Artemis of Bitten by Paranormal Romance...
My silver lining in this, is that there were actual readers who responded to her review. They were great, so I thought I'd put one in lol....
Arron Hernandez said...
I could see how you might get bored of the history aspect of the story if you're A. not a fan of mythology, and B. not an academic-oriented individual. But there is supposed to be a sense of objectivity so that others can potentially identify with you when reviewing a literary work - whether the person (obviously, in this case) doesn't like the storyline or not.
When considering the way in which grammar is often utilized or manipulated to make a point throughout a literary work, it's pretty obvious what the writer was attempting to emphasize with the grammatical choices she made throughout the book and the way in which she highlighted the foreign accents. If this was a legitimate issue, the publishing company - any publishing company for that matter - wouldn't take on such a work or attempt to publish it on such a wide scale. Whether the reader is too simple-minded to comprehend this or not is a completely different story. It's obvious that in undertaking the task of reviewing such a fact-filled literary work, the prowess that cultures like ancient Egypt and Scotland is indicative of was definitely not taken into consideration.
When I read the book, I was not only able to grasp the storyline and the passion that was displayed by the characters, as well as the passion displayed by the author in creating them, but even if passages were long-winded on occasion, Teaching Between Midnight and Dawn was filled with ample amounts of action, history, and wit - whether you paid attention to it or not.
To conclude, I just hope that the author knows that as a reader, the content of her novel and vivid storyline of the supernatural that she aimed to portray was well-received among those of us that actually looked into the heart of the story to understand what it was truly about. And you can take that to the "fucken" bank.
I was of course happy to see this... :)

No comments: